I had another one of those conversations with a mom who does not know that much about homeschooling.
Conversation goes like this :
Other mom “so why aren’t your kids in school ?”
Me ” We homeschool ”
Other mom ” oh you must be a teacher then ?”
Me “No I am not a qualified teacher just a mom who teaches her kids at home”
Other mom ” Ohh I see……… but how do you know what to do ”
Me ” well you can find out everything these days on the internet and we tend to follow the kids lead in what they find intreasting ”
Other mom ” That must be nice but you need to be rich to homeschool ”
Me “no we are definately doing it low cost, you can get lots on the internet for free”
So what are my must haves for homeschooling without breaking the bank – here is my top 10 (in no order)
1. Computer / Internet / Printer access.
2. You need to enjoy spending time with your kids.
3. Access to a good library.
4. A nice playground / park for those days when you have nothing planned but you just need to get out of the house.
5. Basic art stuff (there is a lot can you do with just some paper, paint, a pair of scissors and glue).
6. An imagination or the time to go through Pinterest to find activities for the kids to do.
7. Access to a kitchen so the kids can bake (they learn so much by baking with you).
8. A spouse/ partner / good friend to support you when you get burnt out.
9. The normal puzzles and kids games that you would probably have around the house if you where not homeschooling (snakes and ladders / dominoes are great for teaching Maths).
10. Lot of tea / coffee and chocolate, you need something for those days when nothing goes as planned and you wonder why you are doing this.