One of our favourite biscuits to bake and to eat are these jam biscuits. These are great biscuits to make as they are not too complex, the kids get their hands dirty and they taste great.
I normally try to get the kids to use their hands to press the mixture down into the tin, this is a great sensory activity, they spread the jam and they then crumble the top part with their fingers (another sensory activity). And finally once they are baked they get to cut them into squares and finally eat them.
1. 150 ml butter and 200 ml brown sugar – cream together for around 3 minutes
2. Add 1 egg and 5ml vanilla essence and beat for 1 minute.
3.Add 500ml flour (2 cups) and 5 ml baking powder, to the mixture
4. Add 250ml oats (1 cup), 5ml cinnamon and pinch of salt, mix well
5. Press around half the mixture into a greased pan
6. Spread the 150ml apricot spread and get the kids to sprinkle the rest of the mixture on top
7. Bake for around 30 mins and 180, let it cool, cut into squares and enjoy.
We have also made these biscuits with Strawberry jam